Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Most Important Job!

I am definitely a Martha, not Mary, by nature. (John 10:38-42)  I feel it is my job to ensure that the house hold runs smoothly, on a schedule and is neat in an orderly fashion.  All that is good, but I can sometimes get caught up in thinking that is all has to be perfect and miss out on amazing opportunities. Opportunities such as participating in an activity with my husband, taking the time to listen to his dreams and concerns, or meeting his needs regardless of how important I think it may or may not be.
Not only can my business to get “MY JOBS” done cause me to miss out, but when not being accomplished, I can become aggrivated, angry, controlling and let’s face it, a little bossy. I can feel it is my job to instruct Tim, as his mother, on what he needs to do and how quickly it needs to be done so that everything goes according to my plan.

The truth is that my most important job for my husband and family is to demonstrate the Character of Christ here on earth.  What an amazing opportunity God has given me.  He chose me to show my husband the tangible love of Jesus here on earth.  I am the closest person to Tim here on this earth, so wouldn’t it seem natural that God would give me that responsibility above anyone else.  What a big job and much bigger than the minuscule responsibilities that I think are so important.  If you are struggling to see how you can be Jesus to your spouse, simply ask yourself this question. What are the five most important characteristics of Jesus Christ that you would want your spouse to fully realize? 
(Andy Stanley, Transforming Your Expectations in Marriage)

For me these are the words that come to mind.

Jesus is:
  • Giving to others (others means my spouse, not just outside of my home)
  • Forgiving (thank God, He does not recall the sins of my past)
  • Slow to anger
  • Patient (He should have given up on me a long time ago)
  • Humble (He served others without asking for anything in return)

Your list may be different. Before we can begin displaying the characteristics of Jesus, we must first get to know Him. Study His word and His character.  Then we must realize we are not only called to go to the outside world to show his love, but to ‘Be Jesus” to the person God has chosen to be our companion here on this earth….That is the most important job, as a wife, you will ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment